Dissolution of marriage

In Israel, When spouses of different religion seek to end their marriage, it is necessary to file a request to “dissolve” the marriage to the Family Court.

More than once, Jews, who immigrated to Israel from the former Soviet Union, adopted by Israelis when they were minors from a foreign country whose conversions were not completed / not recognized by the Rabbinical court in Israel, or same-sex couples who wish to get married, are all forced to marry abroad, as there is no legal way for them to do so here in Israel.

In those cases, when the parties wish to terminate the relationship with the husband / wife, they will be required to submit an application for the dissolution of marriage.

When the parties are in agreement, the marriage is dissolved relatively quickly, after submission of the appropriate documents and the holding of a formal hearing in the court.

However, in the absence of agreement, this is a legal action for all intents and purposes, which must be managed correctly in order to achieve the desired result in the shortest possible time, and when it comes to a spouse with foreign citizenship, it is recommended to consider submitting an application for an court order that would prevent the other to leave Israel, so you wouldn’t find yourselves having to litigate In two different countries, which will increase the costs of the procedure and will inevitably lead to a significant delay in the annulment of the marriage.

The contents of this website are general information only and do not constitute nor substitute specific legal advice

Accessibility Toolbar